LOUISVILLE, Ky. — When a gunman fired at the police during a protest in Louisville on Wednesday night, the shooting was captured on camera by livestreamers, protesters, local reporters and New York Times journalists who were filming just yards away.

An analysis of those videos by The Times’s Visual Investigations team helped track the movements of Larynzo Johnson, 26, who was arrested about 10 minutes after the shooting.

Two police officers were hit: Maj. Aubrey Gregory, a 21-year veteran, was struck in the hip, and Officer Robinson Desroches was shot in the stomach.

This is how the shooting unfolded.

Protesters marched through Louisville on Wednesday after a grand jury decided to charge one of three police officers involved in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor in a botched raid on her apartment in March.

At close to 8:30 p.m., a half-hour before a citywide curfew would begin, Louisville police officers were filmed fanning across East Broadway and Brook Street as protesters were approaching. Officers fired flares to halt the protesters’ advance.

Just as the flares explode, a blurry Facebook livestream reveals a man firing several shots at the line of officers, as the video below shows.

A frame-by-frame analysis of the video shows that the gunman lunges forward and fires from behind a group of two or more people. As he moves across the camera, he raises his right arm around another person’s head, fires again and continues firing.

Although the low-quality footage is pixelated, it is possible to determine that the gunman is wearing dark pants and a multicolored sweatshirt with a white, green, red and yellow design. A darker insignia is visible in the center of his back. A handgun is clearly visible in his right hand. Muzzle flashes and smoke exit the gun’s chamber as he shoots across the parking lot in the direction of the police.

The gunman fires at least nine times, video shows. Other videos viewed by The Times indicate that no other gunshots are fired at this time.

The gunman flees off screen to the left of the video above. Another witness films him as he is running away beneath an overpass while holding the gun in his right hand. The video provides a clearer view of the gunman’s attire — the multicolored hoodie, black Adidas track pants with white stripes and a green mask.

When the shots are fired, many protesters and journalists disperse. Louisville police officers fire pepper balls, quickly seal off the intersection and extend the perimeter for more than a block, under the overpass in the direction where the gunman fled.

Although people were free to leave the area, the gunman appears to have lingered and mingled with bystanders and protesters.

About 10 minutes after the shooting, the police arrested Mr. Johnson at the intersection of West Broadway and First Street. A spokesman for the Louisville police confirmed that the man seen in the video is Mr. Johnson. His distinctive attire is identical to the gunman’s.

Authorities charged Mr. Johnson on Thursday with two counts of assault on a police officer and 14 counts of wanton endangerment. Zachary Meihaus, the lawyer representing Mr. Johnson at his arraignment on Friday, said that he entered a plea of not guilty and that bond was set at $1 million.

Both officers were expected to recover, the police said.

This story was reported by Malachy Browne in Louisville, and Cora Engelbrecht and Drew Jordan in New York. Reporting and video were contributed by Alex Garcia, Erik Ljung, Joe Van Eeckhout, Will Wright and Rukmini Callimachi in Louisville. Additional video was provided via Storyful, Riotheart Media and the Louisville Metro Police Department.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here